This is my alternative to oatmeal. It is delicious, but don’t expect it to be exactly the same. Feel free to double or triple the recipe – the ratios below will only feed two or three people, depending on what else you have as part of your meal.
- 1/3 cup chia seeds
- 3 cups nut milk*
- 1/4 tsp stevia
- fruit, nuts, and honey for toppings
1. Heat milk in a saucepan, stirring constantly so it does not burn.
2. Turn off the heat, and divide the chia seeds between the bowls.
3. Pour the hot milk over the seeds and stir.
4. Sweeten lightly with stevia.
5. The porridge will need to sit until it reaches your desired consistency, so you may want to place the bowls in a warm 200F oven while it thickens.
6. Meanwhile, put toppings in separate bowls and set the table. Serve.
Note: I like this porridge cold as a snack as well as hot for breakfast.
* Any milk works for this recipe; I just usually use nut milk. Please never use soy milk though, as it contains harmful enzymes when it is not properly treated.