Caramelized onions are about as yummy as it gets as far as breakfast foods go. They are fabulous with Scrambled Eggs, sausages, mushrooms, and garlic. They are also a delicious, easy, and gourmet side dish that pairs nicely with steak.
- 1 large yellow onion
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Slice the onion according to instructions in this post.
- Coat the bottom and sides of a skillet with the oil.
- Turn the heat on high, and add the onions to the pan.
- When the oil begins to sizzle, turn the heat down to medium-low and put the lid on. Cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. The onions should be translucent by then.
- Remove the lid, and add the salt and pepper to the onions. Stir.
- Continue to cook for 5-10 more minutes, until the onions reach your desired caramelization.
- Pour a few tablespoons of water into the pan to deglaze it. Toss the onions to coat them in the glaze. Serve immediately or use in a recipe.