When this delicious and colorful potpourri appeared in our weekly CSA box, what could I do but make a salsa? I had no lime juice, but that wasn’t stopping me! I diced up the purple onion, the red pepper, the tomato, the cilantro, and the garlic. I added a splash of ACV, and a pinch of sea salt. And the results? Delicious!
The salsa is a little spicy, but even for my six-year-old brother, it wasn’t too much. Enjoy!
- 1 small purple onion
- 1/2 a sweet pepper
- 1/2 a large heirloom tomato
- 1 clove of garlic
- 2 sprigs of cilantro
- a generous splash of apple cider vinegar
- 2 generous pinches of sea salt
- Dice the onion, tomato, pepper, garlic and cilantro.
- Add the vinegar and sea salt. Toss thoroughly.
- Allow to macerate for about 10 minutes before serving.
Note: Try this yummy salsa recipe with fresh, medium-rare grilled tuna. Mmmm… Or there’s the traditional Mexican food approach too. 😉
This delicious sugar-free jam is tart and sweet at the same time. It is thick enough to use on sandwiches, but saucy enough to spoon over ice cream or pancakes. I even enjoy it by itself!
- 3 cups frozen strawberries
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/8 cup honey
- 1 tbsp. gelatin
- Put the strawberries and water in a saucepan, and sprinkle the gelatin over the water.
- When the gelatin has dissolved, add the honey and turn the heat on medium.
- Bring the sauce-to-be to a simmer, and turn down to medium-low.
- Simmer for 1 hour.
- Turn the heat off, and as the jam begins to cool, whisk thoroughly till no whole berries remain.
- Cool, refrigerate, and enjoy!
(The natural pectin in the berries will help it to thicken it as it cools, but the refrigeration will get it to a jam consistency.)
Warning: this is so dangerously delicious that you must be prepared to stand over your food processor until there is nothing left and you have a stomach ache. You have been duly warned. Now here’s the recipe.
- 3/4 cup refined coconut oil
- 1/4 cup honey
- 5 egg yolks
- Pinch of sea salt
- Combine all the ingredients in your food processor and process until smooth. Store in the refrigerator (if you don’t eat it all right away, that is).